Tuesday, March 31, 2009

5th Annual Ashu Babu Memorial Concert

On Tuesday 17 March, I participated (as an assistant) in the 5th Annual Ashu Babu Memorial Concert, in memory of my dear departed guru of tabla, Late Pt Kaviraj Ashutosh Bhattacharya. I performed in the first three of these events, accompanying a range of talented Indian Classical musicians I invited from Japan. Unfortunately I missed last year's event, reputedly a huge one featuring Kathak dance legend Pt Birju Maharaj, but I was very happy to take part in this year's event and to be able to relax a bit this time, as I wasn't performing. In the end, though, I did take to the stage, assisting my guru-ji's son Dr Debabrata Bhattacharya who accompanied Prateek Chaudhuri (sitar).

Once again it was a successful event, well attended and featuring sincere, devoted and talented artists. My senior guru-bhai Parimal Bhattacharaya gave a very nice tabla solo, which I would have liked to have heard more of but I was in the green room with the next act, Prateek Chaudhuri (sitar) and Dr Debabrata "Bappa" Bhattacharya. I was helping Bappa-da tune his tabla etc. Prateek and Bappa-da gave a very enjoyable, even playful rendition of Raga Marwa. (Not sure whether "playful" and "Marwa" go together though...) Finally, Sanswati Sen, a senior disciple of Pt Birju Maharaj, gave a wonderful Kathak dance program. I really appreciated her ease of dancing, beautiful smile and playful mood while being in full control of the rhythm.

Parimal Bhattacharya (tabla solo) with Santosh Mishra (sarangi)

Prateek Chaudhuri (sitar), accompanied on by Dr Debabrata Bhattacharya (tabla).
I'm also on the stage, as tabla tech.


Sanswati Sen (Kathak dance)

No comments: